What is a Photometric Plan?
A photometric plan (aka photometric analysis, photometric study) is a digital survey of your site with a proposed lighting solution. This light study allows you to view the lighting level at the job-site before construction begins. The goal is to achieve illumination specifications required by the city or by decision-makers for your project to reach approval.
Get a FREE QUOTE for any commercial project.
What Does a Photometric Plan Do?
A photometric plan exists to accomplish 6 main tasks.
1. Meet local lighting codes
- Cities require you to follow their illumination standards to achieve lighting uniformity across the entire county. A photometric study will make sure your led lighting layout is compliant with your building department while providing you documentation when the inspectors audit your project.
2. Allow decision-makers to visualize lighting before construction
- Many owners have an agenda when remodeling their property to a new led lighting layout. A lighting designer will be able to make sure the photometric layout checks all your boxes before beginning construction.
3. Create a clear road map for your contractors
- Having no lighting layout will confuse your electricians. Property managers can save thousands in extra labor by planning out their lighting implementation beforehand.
4. Ensure even lighting distribution throughout the job site
- It would be impossible to create a parking lot light design layout without understanding the led fixture you are working with.
- A photometric viewer tool will allow you to see the photometric values that it produces. However, without a photometric plan, you would not be able to conclusively understand how the fixture works with fixtures beside it.
5. Keep light trespass to acceptable standards
- Illuminating past your lot line will get you fined by the local authorities. We have had many horror stories where commercial property owners install lights and end up illuminating the main street and neighboring lots. They end up with huge recurring fines that only a photometric light study can solve.
6. Prevent legal issues from arising in the future due to poorly illuminated public spaces
- A photometric plan acts as a reference for any legal issues that arise within your property line. These include kidnappings, assaults, rapes, accidental falls, and protect you from any accusations claiming your property was not properly lit.
Photometric Plan Cost
If the client only requires the photometric plan and is planning to get fixtures elsewhere, a lighting designer or architect will charge $5,000 to $20,000 depending on the complexity of the project.
Common Photometric Lighting Layouts
Many commercial and residential properties require a photometric plan to achieve certain lighting design goals. Below are some of the most common lighting layouts that our lighting engineers build for our customers and how to achieve the best illumination for your project.
Parking Lot Lighting Layout
Commercial exterior lighting in parking lots is one of the most common photometric plan projects we receive. A large open area needs to have even lighting levels throughout and be above a certain brightness to be deemed compliant.
You should always exceed city lighting requirements for commercial parking lots. During the night, dark parking lots open to the public are gathering areas for troublemakers and can attract vandalism.
- Achieve min:max ratio set by city ordinance.
- Achieve minimum footcandle set by city ordinance.
- Achieve ideal viewing conditions and safety during night hours.
Parking Lot Lighting Before
Parking Lot Lighting After
Warehouse Lighting Layout
Interior photometric plans for warehouses are essential to reducing energy costs and improving employee performance for any business. A warehouse with ineffective lighting can dramatically affect a business by decreasing inefficiency and lowering customer satisfaction.
Employees need proper lighting in an efficient workplace to properly identify aisles, bins, and products. A properly lit warehouse increases pick efficiency by providing clear pathfinding and identification. For large operations, even a slight 10% increase in pick efficiency can save millions of dollars annually. Additionally, if a photometric plan can reduce pick inaccuracy issues from 1% to 0.5%, that potentially saves millions of dollars in returns and unhappy customers.
Aside from employees, improper energy consumption can be costing your business thousands of dollars annually. Utilizing LED fixtures, our lighting designers can save you 50%-70% on your energy bills instantly. Smart lighting controls can also save more with motion sensors, daylight harvesting, and dimming options.
Common Warehouse Lighting Layout Goals:
- Increase employee pick efficiency with clear pathfinding
- For large operations, even a slight 10% increase in pick efficiency can save millions of dollars annually
- If proper lighting can reduce pick inaccuracy issues from 1% to 0.5%, that potentially saves millions of dollars in returns and unhappy customers.
- Identify product codes, aisle locations, bay locations with ease from any distance
- Improve camera visibility and employee tracking
- Reduce electrical costs by up to 70% when switching from halogen or fluorescent. Increase savings by utilizing motion sensor high bay lights
Warehouse Lighting Layout Before and After
Warehouse retrofitted from 450W Metal Halide Bulbs to 120W LED Linear Highbays. Saved 70% on electrical bills instantly.
Recessed Lighting Layout
Use this Interior Lighting Layout Tool to map out your recessed lighting layout.
Recessed lighting needs to be done correctly to create even illumination across the floorplan. A photometric plan can solve those issues by finding the best spacing between each fixture before the building begins.
Sports Lighting Photometric
Many stadiums require very specific light levels to ensure proper visibility. Proper lighting design highly affects player performance, spectator viewing distances, and prevents glare from affecting players and audiences. We also strive to create uniform lighting by overlapping light to avoid dark spots or hot spots.
All these game-changing factors cannot be nullified without a good lighting designer that understands the needs of a sports lighting arena. It is very important to understand pole positioning, fixture specifications, glare control, and uniformity strategies to create even playing fields.
Photometric Plan Projects We Have Done
Many city codes do not allow for trespassing of light to neighboring property lines. In Miami-Dade County, we cannot exceed 0.5 fc. To avoid getting fined by your city, our photometric studies include light trespass values. Illumination levels will be extended out to zero footcandles. Make sure that you understand your city code before performing any lighting renovation to make sure your project is in the clear.
Sample Photometric Plan Projects
Plaza Del Prado Condominium
- The board members and residents of this community had inefficient lighting at the parking lot with most light going upwards and no light coming onto the parking area.
- Our lighting engineers devised a plan with the condominium board members which focused on 2 things
- Reach desired illumination level of residents
- Using these two requirements the photometric plan used the cost-efficient 120W Lumipro G Series LED Area Light and retrofitted the existing poles to reduce material and labor costs. The photometric plan is shown below.
- Once our team got the final approval we installed the entire project in 3 days. See our before and after video.
Shaded Photometric Plan
Perspective Photometric Plan
Parking Lot Before and After
650 NW 123rd St. North Miami FL 33168
- Customer has 40′ sign and 20′ sign facing towards the I95 highway. Existing lighting does not illuminate properly at night completely removing their message to 72,000 daily commuters. Our engineers recommended the F-T Series flood light with a tight beam angle allowing the 40′ I95 signage to be properly illuminated while not surpassing city light trespass codes. For the 20′ sign, we used the Lumipro G Series Area Light to kill multiple birds with one stone. We illuminated the parking lot, the sign, and allowed the security camera clear vision at night.
- Trespassers sneak in from the south and north chain link fence to graffiti the east wall. We implemented the Lumipro G Series LED Area Light and the Lumipro G Series Wallpack allowing clear night vision for all exterior cameras and reducing electrical usage by 50% compared to their existing metal halide fixtures.
- Customer is utilizing 1000W metal halide fixtures consuming massive amounts of energy. The 300W Lumipro G Series LED Area Light reduced the electrical cost by 70%.
1002 E 24th St. Hialeah, FL 33013
Most commercial projects should use the knowledge of a lighting engineer to achieve their lighting goals. Great lighting design is a lifetime investment. It separates you from the competition and increases property value dramatically.